California Waterfowl Association (CWA) will be soliciting applications for the Rice Levee Program starting on September 25, 2023. This program is funded by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, through the Nesting Bird Habitat Incentive Program, which allows rice farmers to submit bids for the management of their internal levees for upland nesting bird species (Mallard, Gadwall and Pheasant). To participate in this program, rice levees must be reconstructed before January 1st or left from previous growing season. Enrolled levees must be left undisturbed until July 15th.
To find out more about the program or to apply visit the California Waterfowl Association’s Website. Application must be submitted only from September 25 to October 30, 2023. All applications will be ranked and successful applicants will be notified by November 6, 2023.
Key Program Requirements:
- Rice levees must be reconstructed before January 1st or left from previous growing season.
- Rice levees must be left undisturbed until July 15th.
- Participating farmers must allow monitoring of enrolled levees, to document nesting activities.
- Bids must be submitted as a cost per linear foot.
- Landowners may be given flexibility if fields are unplanted in the spring.
For questions, please contact Jason Coslovich: 408-644-3525 or email@example.com